Saturday, April 27, 2013

Service Project Day #1

When deciding on a service project, I immediately thought it would be fun to work with a group of 1st graders. Fortunately for me, finding a first grade class to work with was easy! I only had to walk down the hall of my sweet daughter's school. This project will be done by a small group of first graders and one almost first grader and led by myself. Ava will be updating her blog as she and her group go through their lesson. 

This group has been working on different history aspect so we will be working on a Civil Rights lesson. When deciding on this lesson, I had to make sure that the subject matter was both in keeping with the TEKS for this subject but also developmentally appropriate. The essential questions proposed for this lesson are in keeping with the target age group as well as thought provoking. By preparing a standard KWL chart, I was able to gain insight on what the students knew about the Civil Rights movement, what they wanted to learn and at the end of our session, what they learned. 

I'm excited about the upcoming days and hope you enjoy the progress as we go! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment